Bottle Gourd Kheer Recipe/Lauki Kheer Recipe:
This lauki kheer can also be made during fasting days like navratri or ekadashi.Easy recipe method to make kheer from bottle gourd or opo squash or dudhi or ghia.bottle gourd is a cooling vegetable to have during summers.you can make various dishes with lauki from savory to sweet.This recipe is very simple and even a beginner in cooking can make this kheer esaly.Just two things you should remeber.one make sure to use fresh milk.
You can use pre boiled milk or pasteurized milk.another point is lauki should be tender and should not taste bitter.if you do not use milk then you can substitute it with almond milk.but just lightly heat the almond milk.do not heat too much or boil.or you can use coconut milk also,but add thick coconut milk.once you add the simmer on a low flame for a minute or two.Don’t heat too much or boil as the coconut milk can curdle.
Prep Time : 30 minutes
Cook time : 30 minutes
Serve : 4
Level Of Cooking : Easy
Category: Vegetarian Recipe
Bottle gourd 500 grams
Ghee 3 tbsp
Cashew Nuts 15
Milk 1 litre
Sugar 1/2 cup
Green cardamom powder 1/2 tbsp
Kewra water 1 tbsp
- Peel bottle gourd, cut into half, remove seeds, wash and then grate.
- Boil in water until soft, strain and then squeeze to remove excess water.
- Heat ghee in a kadai, add cashew nuts and sauté till lightly browned. Drain and keep aside.
- Add boiled bottle gourd to the same ghee, cook for few minutes and keep aside.
- Bring milk to a boil, then simmer till it is reduced to three-fourths and add the cooked pumpkin.
- Stir to mix well. Add sugar. Cook till sugar dissolves and kheer is semi-thick.
- Mix in green cardamom powder and kewra water.
- Pour into individual serving bowls, garnish with browned cashew nuts and serve hot or cold.
- Before switch off the flame you can add 1 to 2 tbsp of rose water and add 4 to 5 dried rose petals crushed.