Sabudana Khichdi Recipe
Sabudana Khichdi is a pilaf/pulao made with sago/tapioca pearls.This vegan and gluten-free dish is extremely popular in India during the fasting/upvas/Vrat season of Navratri,Shivratri,Ekadashi but not limited to the same.This khichdi is extremely simple and yet so flavorful.This is an easy-to-make North Indian recipe.
This is is prepared using easily available ingredients such as coriander leaves, cumin seeds, sago, potato, grated coconut, roasted peanuts, lemon juice, green chilies.This khichdi doesn’t use a lot of spices and that’s because it’s often made during the fasting season and a lot of spices are prohibited to be eaten during that time.
Sabudana Khichdi is one of the most popular comfort food in India especially from Maharashtra, Gujarat and Rajasthan.Sabudana khichdi makes an appetizing and filling breakfast,lunch,dinner or a snack and with few minutes of pre preparation ,this delicious meal comes together in a flash.
Traditionally, Sabudana Khichdi is a healthy main dish, which is easy to digest and makes for a wholesome delight. Especially, when you want to lose some weight by changing your diet, this khichdi recipe is high on nutrition and low in calories. So, next time whenever you want to prepare something delectable and healthy, try this khichdi recipe.
How to Make Sabudana Khichdi Recipe:
Preparation Time: 5 mins
Cooking Time: 10 mins
Total Time: 15 mins
Serves: 2 servings
Course: Main Course,Dinner,Breakfast
Category: Vegetarian Recipe
Level of cooking: Easy
Taste: mild spicy
1 cup sabudana sago/tapioca pearls
1 cup water
1 tbsp oil/ghee
1/2 tbsp cumin seeds
1 medium potato, 200 grams, diced small, around 1 cup diced potatoes
2 tbsps raw peanuts
1 tbsp Roasted peanuts
1-2 green chili, chopped, adjust to taste/1 tbsp of chilli powder
6-7 curry leaves
1/2 tbsp salt, or to taste, use sendha namak(white rock salt) if making this for fast
1/2 tbsp sugar, optional
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp of coriander leaves
Rinse sabudana under water until water turns clear. This is important to get rid of all the starch.Transfer the rinsed sabudana to a large bowl and add 1 cup water to it.In the morning the sabudana would have soaked up all the water. But you still drain it using a colander just to get rid of any excess water.It is important for the water to drain out very well, as other wise when cooked, the sabudana will stick together in lumps.
Mix sabudana, peanuts, salt, and chilli powder very well, so that it is coated well with this mixture.
Heat oil in a pan on medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the cumin seeds and let them sizzle for few seconds.Then add the diced potatoes and cook for 3-4 minutes stirring often until potatoes are almost cooked. It’s important to dice the potatoes small here so that cook quickly.Add the raw peanuts and for another 2-3 minutes.Then add the green, curry leaves and cook for 1 more minute.Add the mixed sabudana to the pan along with salt and sugar,chili powder.Cook for few minutes until most of the sabudana pearls become translucent, stirring once or twice. Do not cook it for a long time else it will become sticky.Remove pan from heat. Add lemon juice.Serve sabudana khichdi hot with chilled yogurt.
How to make sabudana khichdi non sticky:
- Rinse the sabudana until water turns clear to get rid of the starch. This is an important step to do before you soak the sabudana.Soak sabudana by adding just enough water to cover them(Always use 1:1 ratio of sabudana and water. So for 1 cup of sabudana, use 1 cup of water to soak it.).This is the biggest mistake that you can make which results in clumpy khichdi. You want to pearls to be just about submerged in water. A lot of water will result in a non sticky khichdi.
- Next step is after the sabudana have fluffed up , drain off excess water if any before cooking. Soak the sabudana overnight. A lot of recipes would call for soaking for 4 hours or 6 hours but overnight soaking is best choice.In the morning, drain the sabudana. There will hardly be any water left in the morning after you have soaked the sabudana overnight. However drain using a colander just to make sure that there’s no water.
- Once you add the sabudana to the pan, do not cook or stir it for too long. You have to cook only for few minutes until most of the pearls becomes translucent. If you keep cooking and tossing for a long time, it is going to stick together.
- To check if sabudana is ready to cook, press a pearl between your thumb and index finger. It should smash easily.
- You may add ginger to the khichdi, tastes good.
- You may also add turmeric or other spices if not making this khichdi for fasting.
- Replace the salt with sendha namak if you are making this sabudana khichdi for navratri fast.
- Roast peanuts , crush them and store them in an airtight container so that it’s available handy whenever needed.
- You may add pomegranate or grated coconut if desired.
- You may substitute green chilies with red chilly powder.
- Go through the tips mentioned above for perfect non sticky sabudana khichdi.
Calories and nutritional values of Sabudana Khichdi Recipe: