Thinai Idli-Foxtail Millet Idli Recipe-Okra Idli-Millet Recipes
Before going to Recipe I want to share some information about Millets.It is considered as the perfect substitute for the healthy diets.Proper function of cardiac Vitamin B1 slows the development of Alzheimer’s disease.Alzheimer’s disease- Vitamin B1 slows the development of Alzheimer’s disease.Enhance memory -Vitamin B1 helps to enhance the concentration and memory power. It helps to manage the nervous ailments such as Bell’s palsy and multiple sclerosis.Antioxidant-Vitamin B1 acts as an antioxidant which slows down the process of age spots, wrinkles and other age related problems that has negative effect on the organs.Hair health-Protein is essential for the maintenance of hair health and prevents it from damage.
Traditional usage of Millets:
- The grain of Foxtail millet is used in China as an astringent and emollient in choleric affections and diarrhea.
- The seeds are used in India as a diuretic, to strengthen virility, treat indigestion, dyspepsia and rheumatism.
- The paste is externally used as a cure for swellings.
- It helps to treat food stagnancy.
- The seeds are used to treat diabetes.
- The seeds (green) help to reinforce virility.
- In Western Himalaya, it is combined with cow’s curd in order to treat measles.
- In Pakistan, the crushed seeds are combined with ghee and consumed for the sexual vigor or potency.
- The decoction made from Setaria oil and bark of Acacia modesta is used as a tonic or to raise fertility in females and males.
- It is used in India to enhance vigor and treat bone fractures.
- The white seeds are useful for fever and cholera
- The cooked grains are used in Chhattisgarh as a cure for diarrhea.
- It is combined with other herbs to cure dysuria.
- In Aurangabad, the decoction made from the whole plant is used internally for rheumatism and reduce the pains caused due to parturition.
Millets are a group of small seed grasses grown in semi-dry areas of Asia and Africa.100 grams of Foxtail millet contains 12 g of moisture, 351 calories, 11.2 g of protein, 4 g of total fat, 63.2 g of carbohydrate and 6.7 g of crude fiber. It grants 803 g of isoleucine, 1764 g of leucine, 103 g of tryptophan, 328 g of threonine, 233 g of lysine, 0.6 mg of thiamin, 63.2 g of carbohydrate, 2.8 mg of iron, 11.2 mg of protein, 3.2 mg of niacin, 4 g of lipid fat, 0.1 mg of riboflavin and 31 mg of calcium.
Foxtail Millets side effects:
Foxtail Millets are good for health, eating too much of it, is not good. You must have heard of the tamil saying “Alavukku meerinal Amirthamum Nanju akum” which means even honey (amirtham) becomes poisonous when taken in excess. what i am saying don’t stick to one particular grain.that will be harm for you.
While millet does not contain gluten, it does contain goitrogens. These are substances that suppress thyroid activity and can lead to goiter. This condition involves enlargement of this very important gland which resides in the throat. Low iodine intake can also lead to goiter.
Hypothyroidism is a serious and sometimes debilitating condition. It accompanies a weak or enlarged thyroid such as what occurs with goiter. Depression, difficulty losing weight, loss of hair, cold hands/feet, and fatigue are common hypothyroid symptoms. By some estimates, hypothyroidism is at epidemic proportions in Western society.
Goitrogens in foods that contain them are usually reduced by cooking such as cruciferous vegetables like broccoli. However, cooking actually increases the goitrogenic effect of millet! Incidentally, the same effect occurs when fermenting soy.
Therefore, when folks begin eating large amounts of millet bread with a wholesale switch over from wheat, the thyroid suppressing effects of this simple dietary change can be profound. Injuring the thyroid can have a cascade effect to other glands as well. For example, those suffering from adrenal fatigue many times have thyroid issues as well.
Eat Millet in Moderation –
Protect your thyroid at all costs! It is a real challenge to unwind the effects of hypothyroidism once this vital gland is weakened or enlarged. Don’t take any chances with your thyroid health by consuming large amounts of millet bread or millet based snacks.Eat a variety of food grains like rice, whole wheat, barley, quinoa, bulgur, couscous, millets, oatmeal etc rather than stick to one particular grain.
How to Make Thinai Idli Batter:
Main ingredients:Foxtail Millets
Cuisine: Indian ,South Indian
Soaking time: 4hrs
Fermentation time: 6-7 hrs
Cooking time: 20 min
Serve: 3 to 4
Level of cooking: Easy
Taste: Eat with chutney
Category: Vegetarian Recipe
Thinai / Foxtail Millet – 2 cups
Idli Rice /Normal Cooking Rice – 1 cup
Urad dal / Ulundu Paruppu – 1cup
Hand full of Poha
Fenugreek Seeds / Vendayam – 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Wash all the ingredients well in lots and lots of water.Now soak urad dal and fenugreek ,poha together, Soak rice and thinai separately. Soak all of them for 4 hours.When they are soaked, drain them.Now take a blender and add urad dal and fenugreek. Grind them till they are fluffy and foamy. Transfer them to a large bowl.Now in the same blender add in rice and thinai and grind them till they are smooth. Add water slowly while grinding them.Pour them to the same bowl where you have urad dal mix. Add salt and mix well.Now cover them and leave to ferment for 6 – 8 hours.This will expand to nearly double volume over 6 – 8 hours.Once they are fermented, Add salt before making idlis and give one final mix.
Grease idli mould with oil. Pour idli batter in the holes. Place in a steamer, and cook for 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat. Leave to cool down slightly. Open steamer, and remove idli from the moulds. Repeat with the rest of the batter.
Using rice cooker:
Grease idli mould with oil. Pour idli batter in the holes.Pour some water(approximately 2 cups) in rice cooker squeeze 2 to 3 drops of lime juice.Place the idli moulds in rice cooker,Cook for 20 minutes and remove outside,serve hot with chutney.
Apply oil on the microwave idli container and pour idli batter into the moulds.Set the microwave for 3 minutes on medium power.When the idlis are prepared, with a help of a knife/Spoon,remove them from the microwave idli container and transfer in a serving bowl,serve hot with chutney.
- You can use instead of idli rice /normal rice Red Samba Rice.
- If you want make more healthier add finely chopping veggies.
- Do not use more urad dal than the mentioned quantity because idli will become sticky.
- Batter consistency ,The batter should not be runny or too thick. Think more like a free flowing pancake batter.
- To make sure that the idli is cooked, insert a toothpick in the idlis. If the batter comes out clean, then the idli has been properly cooked.
- An idli is a healthy dish as it is, being a combination of a rice and lentil (urad dal), makes a complete set of amino acids, resulting in a good quality protein. So you can alternate between regular idlis and those made using millets, to get more fiber and a variety of nutrients.
Foxtail Millet Dosai:
- You can make idli with this batter only for a day, the next day, you can use the batter to make dosas. You can also make thick uttapams by adding finely chopped onions and green chillies to the batter.